Digital videos have been proved to impact our lives because they are becoming more popular with each passing day, extending their effect onto the educational space. Since 92% of those who view digital videos are millennial’s, topics that were once seen as abstract and hard to grasp are now readily accessible and can be better understood with videos.
Various studies have indicated that short videos create room for better memory recall and efficient processing. The auditory and visual nature of videos allows individuals to naturally process information. The fact that explainer videos are processed through the pictorial/visual as well as verbal/auditory channels, makes them the best tools for learners to recall and memorize.
What are the best practices for developing educational videos?
To enhance reception as well as processing, the four methods below are the best ways to go about designing as well as creating the perfect explainer videos:
• Signaling: You can achieve this by deploying on-screen text. It captures the attention of the learner and emphasizes on the particular information.
• Segmenting: Divide information into adequately sized chunks, giving the learner additional control when processing it. which you can do through proper management of video duration, implementing pauses, or break points, all through the video.
• Weeding: Get rid of any unwanted information within a video which may obstruct the ability of the learner to process as well as recall such information. Weeding helps to enhance the learners’ capacity to utilize both the visual and auditory channels for memory purposes.
• Matching Modality: Present information in a manner where it targets the visual and auditory channels at the same time. For instance, providing narration along with on-screen animation. This helps to improve processing within the functional memory as well as prevent any cognitive overload.
Benefits of Educational Videos
There are numerous advantages that come with using explainer videos within educational environments. Their versatility and convenience make them priceless to teachers, students, as well as educational organizations:
•It is more engaging than print materials. Learners really have the opportunity to hear and see the concept, as well as process it similarly as they process normal interactions.
• Communication and marketing can be improved. Explainer videos aid in broadening your audience base by helping you access more people. You can post it on your site or link it in a digital advertisement or email.
• Ready made resources can be performed which can be seen with a working internet connection from anywhere.
• You can use them on various devices, which includes tablets, smartphones, and laptops.
• Fantastic for learning complex topics.
• Improve engagement, ultimately boosting achievement. If viewers show interest in such material, they are going to process it better and recall it.
• Indicates a considerable ROI in organizations that have parameters for measuring it.
Features of Effective Learning Videos
When you develop an educational video keep in mind that you should be limited to three minutes or even less unless the amount of information is huge. Other than that, you should adequately balance visual and auditory elements throughout the video. Moreover, you should break the video into short sections by theme or topics. Don’t forget to also use an enthusiastic and conversational tone throughout to keep the viewers engaged.
For more information on the subject, please contact us and we will be glad to assist you.